Legal online casinos are growing more prevalent and popular in the United States every single year.
The big question on most people’s minds is, are online casinos legal? Today, we’ll help explain the legal situation surrounding regulated and unregulated online casino sites in the U.S.
Top Legal US Casinos Online in 2022
Later, we’ll explain how we find and rate different legal USA online sites. This is the page for you if you’re a casino gambling fan. Feel free to check out any casino you find recommended here. Each one is well-known for offering a safe payment system and a wide range of legal gambling online options.
Below is a table containing all the states in the United States of America. Click on your state to find specific online casinos and gambling laws. It’s that easy!
Recent States to Legalize Online Gambling
- Arkansas: Legalized land-based sports betting in February 2022. Approved online play regulation that spring.
- Louisiana: Retail sports betting had been legal since October 2021, but it wouldn’t be until Jan. 28, 2022, when in-state online sportsbooks became legal.
- New York: The new epicenter of online sports betting, New York officially allowed in-state online operators in early January 2022.
- Maryland: After months of deliberation, the state’s SWARC (Sports Wagering Application Review Commission) approved regulations in July 2022, with a launch date expected sometime later in the year.
- Kansas: On July 1, 2022, Kansas passed sports betting legislation. After months of a hopeful launch before the start of the 2022 NFL season, Kansas opened its virtual doors Sept. 1 that year.
- Massachusetts: Charlie Baker signed the Massachusetts Sports Wagering Act into law in early August 2022. The Massachusetts Gaming Commission meets in September to discuss a timeline.
- Ohio: After legalizing online sports betting in 2021, the clock started ticking. In-state operation of online sportsbooks will officially be in the Buckeye State on Jan. 1, 2023.
States Most Likely to Legalize Online Gambling Next
- North Carolina: As the legislative session ended June 30, 2022, the House struck down in-state operation of gambling sites. It will return to the docket in 2023, when experts expect it will pass.
- California: A vote for in-state operation of sports betting sites will happen in November 2022. However, in America’s most-populated state, there are plenty of voices on both sides of the aisle. The MLB came out in support of Proposition 27; however, the Republican Party of California and more than 50 native tribes are against it.
- Florida: After a lawsuit that resulted in Hard Rock Sportsbook’s removal from the market after just one month of operation at the end of 2021, the decision to reinstate online sports betting comes to a head in 2023. In August 2022, the Department of Interior and the Seminole Indians (who launched Hard Rock) filed briefs to bring sports betting back.
- Maine: After vetoing a bill for in-state operation of physical sports betting sites in 2020, Gov. Janet Mills signed it into law on May 2, 2022. Sadly, online sportsbooks weren’t part of the deal. Still, Milt Champion, the Maine Gambling Control Unit’s executive director, pledged it’ll launch around January 2024.
US Laws Towards Online Casino Gambling, Explained
Regarding the legality of online gambling throughout the United States, there are two categories to consider: In-state operation and out-of-state operation.
To translate: There are entirely different rules and expectations for those playing and those running an online gambling site.
This table covers what’s legal and what’s frowned upon:
|Online Gambling Type||Where’s It Legal?|
|Casinos (Playing)||All states, except for Washington|
|Poker (Playing)||All states, except for Washington|
|Sports Betting (Playing)||All states, except for Washington|
|Casinos (Operating)||CT, DE, NJ, WV, MI, PA|
|Sportsbooks (Operating)||AZ, AR, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, NV, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, TN, VA, DC, WV, WY|
|Poker (Operating)||NV, DE, NJ, PA, WV, MI|
In summary, playing at recommended online casinos is risk-free in 49 states. It’s only the operation of in-state gambling sites that’s a risk in certain states. Unless you plan to run a betting website in one of those states, you have nothing to worry about.
How We Rate Legal US Online Casinos
More online sites are accepting US players operating right now than ever before. The internet casino industry is growing every year, and many fantastic casino sites are now available throughout the country. With so many legitimate online platforms now operating here, how do you know which ones to join?
That’s what we’re here for. Our team has reviewed most of the casino websites operating in the USA. We have developed a system to determine which ones are safe and reliable and which ones aren’t.
The USA’s top legal and legitimate online casinos offer a few basic features. Below are the three most important features we look for in legit online sites.
Safe Payment Options
Without safe payment options, the online casino in question is not worth looking further into.
When examining payment options, “the more, the merrier” is a good first approach as the diversity of options allows for more bettors.
However, we look for trusted sources, such as debit/credit cards, cryptocurrency, and e-wallets, such as Neteller, Skrill, PayPal, Cash App, and more.
Additionally, we look to see if deposits or withdrawals require fees and look into the timeframe for withdrawals.
Should an online casino become less than trustworthy in this category, they end up on our blacklisted casino’s page.
Wide Range of Gambling Options
It’s not uncommon to find casino sites offering more gambling options than the best land-based casinos in the country. Generally speaking, legal and legitimate online casinos offer traditional casino moors betting online such as:
Additionally, more top legal online casinos are adding live dealer games and free-to-play moors betting online. These free-to-play games could be a stress-free method for enjoying the online casino, and some even allow you to make money off of them. Another method is demo modes, where you can try a game out at no cost to you to master a strategy or test different slots to see which you prefer most.
The best sites tend to offer more legal online gambling options to their members, but just because a site offers a huge list of gambling options doesn’t always mean they’re legitimate. We check each site’s betting process to ensure it’s easy and safe.
Helpful Customer Support Options
A solid customer support system is the final feature that all legal online casinos USA players can access. This is something many individuals tend to overlook. Don’t make that mistake!
These websites are unregulated, meaning you’ll need to rely on the site you play through to help you. We only recommend online sites that offer direct support to members 24/7.
Safety & Security
Without safety and security, an online casino should be considered irrelevant. Two of the main things we look for when examining the safety of a site are information regarding SSL encryption software, as this keeps customer data safe. The other is if the site has a license from a governing body.
The license is necessary because this allows you to have another avenue for resolving issues.
Bonuses & Promotions
Although you may visit an online casino to enjoy the various moors betting online, any time you can add more money to your virtual wallet, the better.
The online casino industry is ultra-competitive. With that, players reap the benefits as sites offer deposit bonuses, free spins, rebate offers, sweepstakes tournaments, and more.
Not only do we look for the kind of offers, but we also look at the terms and conditions to ensure the “fine print” isn’t anything drastic regarding wagering requirements. If the wagering requirements feel unattainable, we tend to avoid this. The offer “on paper” may look appealing. Still, if the wagering requirements make it so you’ll never actually enjoy withdrawing your bonus funds, it defeats the purpose of going for it.
Mobile & User Interface Design
We know that online casino play goes on the road with players now more than ever, so having a user design that works on desktop and mobile is essential.
Players should have an easy time figuring out where the pages for banking methods, moors betting online, customer support, and promotions are.
On mobile, we look for the same ease of finding these. Still, we also look for a “static” menu along the bottom of the mobile site to allow easy access to these pages or others at all times.
Additional Online Casino Laws You Need to Understand
The United States has some of the world’s most complex online casino laws. We gave a brief description of these laws earlier. This was just a tiny piece of the massive regulatory landscape in the country.
Fortunately, our team has covered the changes to US online casino laws over the years. Many resources are available to help you better understand what’s available. Check them out below!
Retail Casino Gambling Laws
The United States is home to a huge number of land-based casinos. Some of these are tribal casinos operated on sovereign land. Others are commercial casinos operated by billion-dollar companies. Despite the rise of legal gambling online, the US land-based casino industry continues to grow.
Here are a few helpful resources that discuss the legality of land-based casino gambling.
- A Brief History of Gambling in the United States
- Differences Between Land-Based and Online Gambling
- The Indian Gaming Regulatory Act
Notable US Legal Battles Over Gambling
The gambling industry has been the center of significant controversy over the years. Several individuals and companies have been involved in lawsuits over this industry. Here are a couple of the most notable cases.
- United States v. Scheinberg, aka Black Friday
- California v. Cabazon Band of Mission Indians
- The Aftermath of Black Friday
Important Online Casino Laws to Know About
Over the past few decades, many laws and regulations have been placed on the USA online casino industry. Below are some essential laws that determine the legality of internet casino gambling in the US today.
- The Federal Wire Act of 1961
- Overview of Federal Law That May Apply to Online Gambling
- The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA)
- The Impact of the UIGEA
- The Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act
- The Internet Poker Freedom Act
Famous Online Casino Regulation Moments in US History
The US government has taken several steps to regulate the online casino industry better. These regulations haven’t always been successful, yet many of them are still implemented today.
- Early Efforts by the US to Curtail Online Gambling
- Actions by the US Government to Stop Online Gambling
- The Southern District of NY Takes on Poker Players
- States Start Regulating Online Gambling
- The Department of Justice Changes Its Mind About the Wire Act
US Online Casino Laws Towards Foreign Countries
Most of the best legal US online sites operating today are based in other countries. Many individuals want to know how US laws apply to online casino websites. Here are a few resources that help explain the rules.
- How Do US Gambling Laws Apply to Other Countries?
- Offshore Online Gambling Regulation
- The Challenges of Regulated Online Gambling
- The Workarounds for Offshore Online Gambling Sites
Other Miscellaneous Online Casino Resources
For any other questions, you may have, feel free to check out the resources listed below.
- Gambling Prohibition and Regulation
- The Political Barriers to Gambling in the United States
- Who Has the Jurisdiction to Make Gambling Laws in the US?
- The US Anti-Gambling Propaganda Machine
- Why These Internet Gambling Bills Don’t Matter
- The Arguments Against Online Gambling
- The Arguments in Favor of Online Gambling
- Toward a Comprehensive Regulatory System in the US
- The Threats of the Restoration of America’s Wire Act
- The Future of Online Gambling in the US
Safest Ways to Fund Your Online Casino Account
The state you live in may have recently introduced legal online casinos to the USA for the first time. While you know you want to sign up, you’re unsure which banking method you should use to fund your account.
Don’t worry; this section is for you. Here are our top three ways to fund your online casino account in the United States. Not only are these methods used at the safest and most secure casinos, but the methods themselves are also great to use.
Cryptocurrencies are one of our favorite banking options because they allow you to instantly move your money into your online casino account, and it’s usually free to do so. This banking option also offers anonymity at legit online sites that you won’t find with other methods.
If you choose to use this banking method exclusively, we recommend you first explore the best-rated Bitcoin casinos.
Other safe payment methods include e-wallets. Each tends to operate a little differently than others, so research your options before committing. Top options include:
- Cash App
You’ll also need to check whether your casino accepts your preferred payment method. Remember – just because a casino offers a certain deposit method, it doesn’t necessarily offer that same method for withdrawals (or vice versa).
Like crypto, there are certain casinos best for Cash App users, PayPal fanboys/fangirls, and so on.
These transactions usually take a few minutes to process and hardly come with added fees. You have to link your e-wallet to your bank account before withdrawing funds, which could take a full business day if you don’t already have your e-wallet set up.
Most legal online casinos in the USA accept credit cards as a banking method, which is probably why they’re widely used. Mastercard and Visa are the ones we see offered the most. Still, Capital One, Chase, and Discover are provided by some legal online casinos as well. It’s common for casinos to charge additional fees for transactions made with credit cards, so be on the lookout for those.
With bank transfers, you can either engage in an actual bank transfer or an ACH transfer.
A bank transfer is essentially a wire transfer where you’ll engage your bank to directly deposit funds into the online casinos banking ecosystem, thus funds becoming available in your account.
At the best wire transfer online casinos, you can begin the process on the deposit/withdrawal page.
Tips for Staying Safe While Gambling Online in the USA
You’ll want to ensure you’re playing at legitimate casinos while gambling online. Aside from using our trusted sites, it’s essential to be familiar with your state’s legal gambling online laws. Here are some additional tips for avoiding non-reputable sites and staying safe while gambling online.
- Fund your online casino account with a safe banking method. The most popular and secure methods are cryptocurrency, e-wallets, and credit cards.
- The site you’re using should have low deposit and withdrawal fees.
- The online casino should have a helpful customer support section. The best sites have 24/7 support available for their customers.
Stay up to Date With News About US Gambling Laws
The gambling laws in the United States are changing every week, it seems. If you’re the kind of player who likes to stay current on their legal information, check out our latest news posts about casino and gambling laws today.
7 Tips on How to Win at Roulette in Las Vegas
How Does the House Edge in Blackjack Work?
3 Ways You Can Benefit from Gambling Math
7 Sucker Bets Most Gamblers Make
How Do Professional Casino Gamblers Make Money?
5 Slot Machine Rules and Strategies Most Players Don’t Know About
FAQs About US Legal Online Casinos
It’s difficult to say precisely how many casino websites are currently available in the United States. More of these casinos enter the US every single year. Each of the US legal online casinos we listed at the top of this page is well-known for offering safe payment options and a wide range of moors betting online.
That all depends on you and how you gamble. Generally, the more you wager, the better your chances to win. We recommend that you only place bets on moors betting online that you understand. It’ll significantly increase your chances of winning.
The simplest way to understand American online casino play is to divide it into two categories — in-state and out-of-state operations. Currently, you can play safely at any in-state or out-of-state online casino unless you reside in Washington state. Some states’ residents will only find out-of-state casinos available because their area bans in-state operation of e-casinos. This doesn’t affect you as a player – you’re good to go.
As we mentioned earlier, most casino sites in the USA offer more moors betting online than the country’s biggest and best land-based casinos. You can find the best online casino moors betting online, including blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker, and more.
Our team of gambling experts follows the US online casino industry exceptionally closely. You can check out your state’s current internet casino laws using the interactive map above. Stay updated on any changes by following our news page.
Yes, there are hundreds of legitimate online casinos available to choose from. Not every online casino out there has your best intentions in mind, so we suggest you stick with our list of recommendations. All of the casinos on our list have been thoroughly vetted by our team of experts to ensure they’re trustworthy and legitimate.
While not every legal online casino available on desktop can be accessed on your phone, most of them can be. We love the convenience of being able to play on the go and find ourselves playing at mobile online casinos often. However, remember that certain features or moors betting online may not be available on mobile or compatible with certain phones.
Most legal online casinos offer free bets as a welcome bonus for new players who sign up. You can get a taste of these in our guide to the best online casino bonuses and promotions. You may need to complete specific wagering requirements to withdraw your bonus funds.
Yes, all online casino apps are free to download. If you’re worried about an app taking up space on your phone, you can also access it from your phone’s web browser, as that’s an entirely free option.
You can’t go wrong when choosing any casino from our list of recommendations. Read our online casino reviews for a more detailed look at exactly what each online casino has to offer to find one that meets your unique gaming needs.
Not only are the five online casinos we listed above and discussed legal, but we have an entire online casinos reviews page dedicated to the myriad sites you can play at legally and enjoy right now.